Hello, blog visitor!!

If this is your first visit to this blog, and you want to read about my adventures in order, scroll to the bottom of the page and read from the bottom up. Happy reading :)

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

i'm heeerrreeee!!!


i've finally arrived.
slept last night at the orphanage. met my sponsor child, santos. i've never gotten such a long hug from a child that didn't know me. he's told everyone i'm his madrina (godmother aka sponsor) and when he sees me i get random hugs/semi tackled (sp?).
i could barely sleep last night my mind was buzzing with so much. like being 7 years old on christmas eve after getting a glimpse of what's under the tree and being sent to bed.
today i went to the volunteer house, where i'll be living. just about had a heart attack with the way the volunteers there are living.... calmed down, went back to the hogar (orphanage) with the volunteer coordinator, brought back curtains and sheets, pulled a mary poppins-thirdworld style makeover to the house and now i feel a little better.
i still have a line of termites crawling up my wall... or i should say lines.... and cold water showers that sometimes don't work, and a stray dog sleeping at my doorstep...and my bed is a warped cot with two skinny mattresses... i'll survive though.

things to do: buy lysol and a sponge

that aside ... it's good to finally be here. i have lots to do. and my health seems to be back. and today i hitched a ride into town with 2 other volunteers in the back of a pickup.
this is my life for the next 5 months.
i'm here.

2 comments:

John said...

Congrats! It must be exciting to be there.
You can eat termites--they taste minty. But I'd rather nuke them with something toxic.

Nate y Chey said...

Wow. Your description is a little scary for me. I can't believe that me and Chey will be there in less than a month!!!!! Good luck down there, let me know if we should bring anything for you!! :D